@Hull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Wildcat of the Wolds

Go down 
+4
Trev
AR-Tony
Barrow
Admin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Wildcat of the Wolds Empty
PostSubject: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 4:19 am

Can anyone else remember the "Wildcat of the Wolds" sightings that took place around Hull during the 1990's? The sightings occured across east Yorkshire, and were featured in the Hull Daily Mail on numerous occasions, from eyewitnesses of all walks of life.

One report even suggested that Humberside Police's Helicopter was sent to track the animal!
Back to top Go down
https://hull.aforumfree.com
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 10:33 am

many said they saw a black cat in the Wolds,which worried me a bit as I was in charge of the Rights of Way section with Humberside and had to walk alone through many fields and woodlands.Saw a big fox once that followed me through a woodland.Walked once in the mist at Cottom desertered medieval village and heard a pouding of something coming towards me.It turned out it was a pony!
Never saw a black cat,but have been attacked by bullocks,pigs and horses,and even geese,plus the odd farmers dog!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:35 am

I have never seen the black cat, but not unlike you, have been chased by all manner of animals across the country. At one point we were chased by bulls, which had escaped and were running riot across agricultural land, and crushing the crops!

On another occasions we were chased by horses, and my friend stood up, put his arms out like Jesus and the horses stopped. His brave antics saved a paclet of crunch creams being squashed!

The most "amoosing" escapade occured when we were crossing a field of cows. We were told to look them in the eye and they would not bother us, however, as we did this they began to charge! We ran across the field, carrying full packs, and leaped over a fence. As we turned and looked behind a friend of ours, who was smaller than the rest, was falling behind and the cows were gaining on him, we had to climb back over the fence, after removing our packs, and run back to save him!
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 11:05 am

You were not chased by bulls as there is only one in a field.You were chased by bullocks. who are harmless if castrated,as most of them are.But never run,as they will run after you.One farmer told me he saw a bunch of ramblers crossing his field of pigs.The ramblers ran faster,and so did the pigs.The reason the pigs ran after the ramblers was that they thought they were about to be fed and assumed the ramblers had their food.
Back to top Go down
AR-Tony

AR-Tony

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:34 pm

Cows will press round you, out of no more than curiosity, and they can, if they feel so inclined, lick you, which is not so good, because their tongues are like rough wood files. They can also form a terrible crush on you, which is very likely the original reason and sense of that saying. An adult cow with calf can be a real problem when nervous and will knock you down. Standing your ground might be an option, but staying out of their domain is a much better one.

Sheep have, long since, had their brains dulled through constant inbreeding and whatnot. They will stand as quiet as, well, a lamb, then take off in a sudden mad stampede. Even when left well alone, when one goes, the rest will follow in a heartbeat and they will rush pellmell into fencing, bushes trees anything. They demonstrate a well known phenomena, a crowd has no brain.

Pigs are extremely intelligent and capable of solving many problems. They are capable of anything they take to mind and should never be underestimated. If they decide to take you down they will. They have a very low centre of gravity and can speedily outmanoeuvre any human on foot or horse. They can snap a human shin bone in one swift bite. The adult male is fearless, so stay well away.

A horse will weigh you up in a trice and decide whether you be friend or foe. They are reasonable and can be tricked, but they can kick you tother side of Christmas if they feel so inclined. Finally, walking through fields of animal filth and urine is far from bright. You can pick up some really vile diseases.

As for Big Cats, they have been breading out there for quite a while and will hopefully continue to give you a very wide berth. Ha, but if they come after you, well, standing still, might just work, but running or climbing trees? They do that better than you or I. So stay away. Keep to designated, well marked and protected pathways, to do otherwise is to be really stupid.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 2:21 am

Bulls/Bullocks, I didn't have time to differentiate between the two. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Trev

Trev

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:25 am

There is a theory doing the rounds that the authorities are well aware that big cats are roaming the countryside, but to admit it publicly would open them up to compensation claims from farmers for lost livestock.
Back to top Go down
alanmackinnon

alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:48 am

Mike, I don't think it is necessary to be able to differentiate between bulls and bullock. I think it is enough to get out of the way if one or other is accellerating in the general direction of your backside at a rate of knots. Not essential to know the difference between a load of bull and a lot of bullocks.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:53 am

The amusing thing was, after the encounter, a very angry farmer came riding through the corn, or what was left of it, holding a shot gun whilst zooming along on a peddle and pop scooter.

I heard this theory too Trev, it's believed that the compensation for farmers from the ministry of agriculture, fisheries and food would equate to millions, and so, the existence of these animals is denied.

I recently uncovered a Hull newspaper report from the 1950's about a man on his way to pub, only to spot a large lion in the road. Humberside Police were said to have been called in, but no lion was found.
Back to top Go down
Tigerlilly

Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 6:53 am

I`ve had two bad experiences with cows. Once, donkeys years ago a boyfriend and I went to Beverley Westwood in the car. Within minutes the car was surrounded by voyeuristic cows. Another time, about 15 years ago we rented a cottage in the Dales.
One day as we were travelling along a very narrow road we came across a herd of cows that had escaped from their field. While the farmer and his son were frantically waving at the cows to get them to turn around and go back, the cows were quite happily scratching their rear ends on our car door handles and slobbering over the windows. I`ve never been so frightened in my life.
No way could I be a farmers wife. affraid
Back to top Go down
http://cardsfromlynnesloft.blogspot.com/
Harry from Hull

Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 11:15 am

Sounds like you had a lucky escape on the Westwood Tigerlilly. Cows are not normally aggressive,but there are times when they can get a bit moo-dy. I often wondered why some of them wore bells round their necks-then I found out that their horns didn't work.
Back to top Go down
Tigerlilly

Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 11:31 am

Ha ha ha I`ve been called a moo-dy cow before today Harry. I don`t think the westwood cows are a problem, I just didn`t want them watching. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:38 pm

Watching what?Or is that anudder story?I have read about folks on Beverley Westwood taking dogs for a walk at night!
Back to top Go down
Tigerlilly

Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Ha ha ha, that`s for me to know and you to wonder about. Razz
Back to top Go down
Harry from Hull

Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Tigerlilly- When I went to the Westwood,I was too young to own a car and I never did any thing that would attract a cow's attention. I used to talk to them,but it went in one ear and out the udder.There was some of them had been inoculated for prevention from Mad Cow disease.This caused side affects making them very forgetfull and they had to be given 'milk of amnesia'.

Anyway- I think Barrow will agree that the real 'Wild Cat of the Wolds' was really the noise of Tigerlilly and Partner in a car on the Westwood.-but of course this will be denied! The Wildcat of the Wolds Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
alanmackinnon

alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 5:09 pm

So does this mean that what is always referred to as dogging in almost every part of the world is called cowing on Beverley Westwood? Is this another prime example of phrases indigenous to the East Riding and Hull?
Back to top Go down
Tigerlilly

Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 6:21 am

Ah Ha! You see you`re all assuming I was up to no good and being a naughty girl. I might have been admiring the view and eating a picnic. Surprised
Back to top Go down
alanmackinnon

alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 8:32 am

I would never dare to imagine anything about a lady, Tigerlily, especially one with such a beautiful flower as her signature picture. If you say you were gazing at the view and eating a picnic then I can only take your word for that. Just one point whilst on the subject, according to various dictionaries which I have queried on double-entendres not one of them had "having a picnic" as having a hidden meaning. Just shows that they don't know everything, don't it??? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tigerlilly

Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 8:51 am

Razz
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 11:23 am

But during a picnic,you can also have a "nibble" I was about to include a sausage! Shocked
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 12:16 pm

I say, I'm shocked! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Wildcat of the Wolds   The Wildcat of the Wolds Empty

Back to top Go down

The Wildcat of the Wolds
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
@Hull :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: