@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Lost Trades and Proffessions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:08 am

Do you have memories of Rag and Bone men, Coal men, Knife and Scissor Sharpeners, Cobblers, and all the colourful trades and tradesmen and women of the past?

I was sat this morning, and for the first time in a while, I heard the rag and bone man. He didn't have his horse and cat, instead opting to travel with a van, but when the children heard him they were in awe at his loud call which could be heard down the street.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hull.aforumfree.com
AR-Tony

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:42 am

Mike, Rag and Bone men still ride Oss n Cart round West Hull. Coal men? Not sure whether they dare to deliver? One told me that they are continually reported in the smokeless zones and face heavy fines. The coal-man who delivered to Sidney House flats was a hero. Knife and Scissor Sharpeners? Yonks ago one sharpened my carving knife to such a fine edge, I dosn't take it and I insisted he took some of the edge off it. Fishermen also never liked an over sharp knife. Cobblers? There is still one down Londesborough Street. Colourful trades? Not quite what you mean, I know, but down the bottom end of Gloucester Street, there was a blocked drain and when I rodded through, there was a sudden back flow of Reckitt's Blue and by the time I'd finished I was a rather colourful tradesman m'sen and the air was the same colour as the watter!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:22 am

I live in West Hull near to the Police Headquarters and I regularly see and hear a rag and bone man with a horse drawn cart. There is also a butcher who has begun to deliver and sell to this area from the back of his van and there is a fishmonger selling from his van in Priory Road. Looks like the old tradesmen may be making something of a comeback. And of course the tea company Ringtons still deliver round here. All we need in this area now is a mobile grocers and a mobile bakery and I will never have to go out to the shops again. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:33 am

Often see a rag and bone man in Hessle with his horse and cart.He calles out "bone"/Maybe we have a better class of tat in Hessle!
Years ago,when I saw a rag and bone man,I asked him if he wanted our old cooker.He asked if it had an eye level grill.It did not and he did not want it.Beggers can be choosy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:19 am

Back in the 50's the rag & bone used to frequent 6th Avenue on NHE. He used to blow an old battered bugle to attract attention. The first time I heard it I rushed out I expected to see Errol Flynn at the head of the Cavalry. He used to collect old jam jars and if you gave him 4 or more.he would give you one back with a goldfish in it.He also recycled old comics which you could buy for a penny or in exchange for your old ones
Back to top Go down
View user profile
medsec

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:21 am

Rag and bone men with horse and cart still come down the Avenues. Also coalmen, I think. Surely they will also deliver smokeless fuel, not just coal? They always did. Ringtons still come round as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:38 am

When we were kids on Greatfield the rag man used to give us a magic painting book for rags. My younger brother, excited at the prospect of summat for nowt, took a pile of my baby brothers hand knitted cardigans and romper suits that mum had just brought in off the washing line and swapped them for a painting book. Mum chucked baby and younger brother in the pram to find rag man but he flatly refused to give her the clothes back. I still remember mum crying. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cardsfromlynnesloft.blogspot.com/
medsec

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:33 am

Oh no, that's awful. I was going to say that I used to love those magic painting books but that's not a very happy association for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:42 am

Thanks Medsec. The `baby` is 48 years old now so I think Mum had time to get over it.
Must have heartbreaking for her at the time but we have laughed about it since.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:50 am

Manure Merchants! That's a job that sounds awful, but from what I have heard the men that did it around Hull were very proud of their work.

I remember as a very young boy the knife sharpener turning up at my nans on Portobello, he looked a little like the childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and more so when the sparks from his wheel started flying!

I also remember when the dustmen used to come up the side passage and into the rear yard, pick up the bin and carry it, then return it after it was emptied.

I have seen the rag and bone man with a cart and horse around east Hull, but not for a while.

There is also a travelling Fish Merchant that parks his van opposite Boyes on Holderness-road every saturday.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:02 am

Whatever happened to the Sheriff of Hull, Governor of Hull, etc. I would love to know what happened to these jobs and why they vanished.
Back to top Go down
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:11 am

I remember when I was a wee bit of a lad there was a bloke used to visit our school with a horse and cart on which were mounted several bins that he used to carry away all the waste food which was eventually fed to the pigs. I remember that the kids at our school used to joke that he was "bringing the dinner". Apparently there were quite a few of these companies around at that time and I believe that they used to charge for removing the swill. Nice cheap way of feeding the livestock, I reckon. There were no flies on those old farmers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:16 am

When I worked a Needlers back in 1999-2000 I recall that a lot of the sweets and toffee that was swept off the floor was packaged in cardboard sacks and sent to the pig farmers. I used to see skips of the stuff getting sent and often wondered how much it must actually cost the company.
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:08 am

Do you remember the time when you had an "insurance man"? things were done on a personal level back then,(sometimes a little too personal Wink ) as for our rag man you were either given a balloon or a half dead goldfish,i found more profit in taking rags in a pram to scrapyard,were they would seperate cottons from wool,weigh them and your wools were a higher price,i think if i turned up with a pile of rags to-day they would laugh me out of the gates. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:26 am

I well remember just after the war (second world not boer Laughing ) we lived in a flat in Parrott Street above a bloke who used a horse and cart to collect newspapers from householders and businesses, bale them up and then take them to HDM's place in Jameson Street where he would sell them. His mother used to have her own little business making hotcakes and the son would take them out around the West Hull area and sell them from the back of the horse and lurry. I couldn't imagine either business succeeding now. There are not enough newspapers bought to make the first business viable and the second would not get off the ground because of Elf and Sadie and food production restrictions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:33 am

Although not a lost trade as such, in the 70`s there was alot of `home` work. A friend of mine who`s husband worked away and had small children needed to earn a little extra money and took on a home working job. Every week she had to go into town and pick up her work and deliver last weeks. She filed false teeth!
Actually it`s not as bad as it sounds. The teeth came attatched to a strip on which they were moulded, so many were incisors, so many molars and so on. She had to snap the teeth from the strip and file the pip that was left on the tooth. If I remember correctly she had to do thousands of these teeth to make it worth while and anybody who visited got a hand full of teeth to file while you chatted. It was quite therapeautic for about 10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Gud4u

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:49 am

Does anybody remember the clog makers of Hessle road, or taking the wet cell battery accumulator to be charged so you could listen to Dick Barton, Snowy and Jock? What about the herring and haddock smokers and the fish dock oss n rully drivers and the cat skinners and the smell of "fish meal" on a hot summers night. Also kit scrubbers, chippers and painters, boiler scalers, the cod oil men, riveters,platers, shipwrights, fitters, welders, fish filleters, electricians, ships husbands, taxi drivers, hovels, steam raisers,chandlers, fishermans stores, drunken trawlermen and sober ones, all part of a great industry in west hull that will never be seen again. Happy days Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:34 am

Erm, speaking as a young (ish) east Hull lass, what the hell was a ` cat skinner`? And if I`m being completely thick and it was person who skinned cats, then why? Shocked
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:07 am

Very Happy 1.Enter a large room with your cat
2.grab the cat by the tail
3.swing the cat around your head (hence the need for a room large enough to swing a cat)
4.keep swinging the cat until the centrifugal force causes the cat to be ejected, leaving the skin behind
5.clean up the mess on the wall
6.hope your wife doesnt find out Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:11 am

Before tiger reports me to RSPCA,im only kidding Laughing (or am i cat )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gud4u

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:24 am

The cat I refer to Tigerlilly is a fish, to be precise a northern wolf-fish known to Hull fishermen as cats. Many atime have I watched and admired catskinners ripping the skins from these ugly beasts with just a few nicks of a knife to the back of the head which was hooked through the mouth and secured to a fixed post. I reckon skinning a mule would take longer,YEE HAA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:35 am

Thank you for that Gud4u. I can sleep soundly now. Sleep
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:17 am

What Gud4U knows as "fish meal" we called it "cod farm" i dont know why,but remember the place created a very strong awful stench,if the wind was blowing in the right direction one could smell it on the train pulling into station,but wonder if east hullers ever got a whiff at their end Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Oh! So that is what it was. We used to think it WAS the East Hullers we could smell. Thanks for clearing that up, Steve. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:41 am

This is war aggi,whoops i mean alan Laughing ill let you into a secret,it was a cunning plan between hull fc and cod farm to put rovers off their game Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lost Trades and Proffessions   

Back to top Go down

Lost Trades and Proffessions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next