@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN

Go down 
AuthorMessage
fozzeduk

PostSubject: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:12 am

I understand that there are D.L.A.cheats as with most benefits,and i dont mind going through a medical if it is to help crack down on the cheaters,but it sounds pretty clear that these doctors/medical examiners will be instructed to get as many people off of D.L.A. as is possible,and the more they can right or wrong,is the main purpose of their job description,they may even get a bonus for the more they can get off DLA, ive heard of some real horror stories of the last lot of medicals people were put through by awful nasty doctors that made you feel like a liar,and did not deserve the benefit,but the evidence spoke for itself,now it seems these or new doctors are going to be nothing more than government hatchet men,if you are accepted for DLA today,then your medical evidence im sure cannot alter just because you are being interogated,and examined by a different doctor. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:41 am

I wouldn't look for bogeymen behind every query about the health of somebody on medically generated benefits, Steve. I have been involved with the people who run the DLA system for many years, firstly when I cared for my disabled wife and then when I myself became too ill to work and I have found that if there is genuine need the doctors who examine claimants are pretty fair. At the end of the day, the robbing bu99ers who claim and draw money to which they are not entitled are taking it from people like me who are in need, so I am truly delighted when someone says enough is enough and stops the gravy train before it reaches the station. If I had any say in it, I would make anyone who has been wrongly claiming DLA and other benefits pay back every penny or go to jail. It is thieves like that (and fiddling MPs) who have helped to get this country in a mess in the first place. Finally, I don't think that everybody who is claiming DLA will be expected to take further medicals unless there is some doubt about them in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:33 am

Lets face it, there are a huge amount of people claiming DLA when they are capable of doing some kind of work. I`m sure most of us know of someone who has such a bad back when it suits them but can carry on normal life the rest of the time.
There are also others that qualified for DLA under the last government that really need help rather than money thrown at them. I know of two people who have children that are classed as `slightly` autistic when really they have a very low concentration level and are disruptive in class but get hundreds of £`s a month given to them. Registered drug addicts are classed as disabled and given DLA. Surely this money would be better spent on rehab.
I have nothing against the genuine disabled but I do think it`s high time the system was sorted out. If a person truly wants to work, they will find a way. I just wonder how many would be so disabled if there was no benefits system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cardsfromlynnesloft.blogspot.com/
medsec

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Yes indeed. We are aware of someone locally who employs a 'gardener' who arrives on a mobility scooter. It's soon ditched when he's round the back of the house though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:01 pm

When I had my medical the doctor listened to my heart and went a funny colour. I asked if he was ok, and he said, "You shouldn't be here, I should have come to see you!"

They can test me every day, but it's still the same now. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hull.aforumfree.com
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:18 pm

I really think that there are too many people being paid DLA who coud do some work, but, unfortunately under the previous administration it was a case of "give them it without too much hassle in case they take us to court for breaching their human rights to benefits." Let us hope the new lot have a better attitude to spending our money. I know several families who rely on their DLA payments to give them a lifestyle much better than the one they would have enjoyed if they had been working and I think that is wrong, especially as I know that those families don't need the payments because the only time they have serious disabilities is when the doctor calls from the Ministry (very rare occurence). The rest of the time they spend a lot of time in the pub and drive their mobility cars off on holiday a couple of times a year and don't believe they are doing anything wrong. Their attirude seems to be that if it is available they want it. Stricter testing is what is desperately needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 am

So then if a cheat can get past gps,hospitals,consultants with their fake conditions,how do medical officers who are probabably a gps anyway expect to know if the patient is fooling them?unless they employ the services of an expert in every field of illness thats on dla,and what if they get it wrong and tell you that your fit for work and your not and an accident occurs as a direct result of your illness either to yourself or others,the government will just blame the medical officer so their backs are covered, i feel that the medical officer will be pressured by the government not only to find fakes but to clear the dla list,and this will lead to mistakes being made,remember the genuine people that had to face the fact that they were disabled and could no longer work or drive,to suddenly be told "you are fit for work" and then find no one will employ him/her,and then to find you can only get jsa,certain people will be so distressed that they may contemplate that life is no longer worth living,where before they felt they had at least a little quality of life,i believe that if the government has allowed fakers to get on dla,and i dont care if they were lab or cons,that is then it is their job to investigate and remove them,but at the end of the day the govenment want to clear the dla books,and that means genuine cases,how would those people feel to be taken off,and know others in the same circumstances seen by a different medical officer are allowed to stay on dla,and whats worse is to have it taken from you,and then to find that the fakers have got past the medical,at the moment this is a boil,but as you know all boils come to a head,or are lanced,and i forsee all hell breaking loose in the near future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:40 am

Steve, I think you are panicking unnecessarily. If you are genuinely disabled then I feel sure that your status will not be in question. Of course the people who may feel a little aggrieved are those who are borderline disabled who the medical people feel can do some work and who then reduce the award. At the end of the day, the DLA system was never designed to be a way to assist people with a small amount of disability to avoid the unemployment queue. I would have thought, anyway, that anyone with an ounce of moral fibre would rather work a few hours a week and collect a small credit to make up their money than sit on their asses getting fat and even more disabled at the expense of the state. I am 70 years old and unable to breathe without oxygen but if I could get around I would be working, even though I have paid into the system all my life. Anyway, there is a very good appeals process available to those who feel they have been wrongly assessed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:18 am

Well said Alan. We only have to look at the lads coming home from Afghanistan with limbs blown off to see what can be achieved with willpower and moral fibre. Look at all the participants in the paralympics...I bet they don`t rely on state handouts. We all have a duty to stop this ridiculous benefit culture we`ve got ourselves into and get some pride back. However the biggest problem we have is the lack of job opportunities for the one`s that want them never mind the lazy beggars that don`t.

Last edited by Tigerlilly on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad spelling tut)
Back to top Go down
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:13 am

There are lots of jobs going out there if people really want to work. Okay, they are not highly paid and maybe a few people would be a little worse off by working but what about self respect as part of the equation here. I saw a programme on TV the other week where they asked 12 British people if they wanted to do jobs that some Eastern Europeans had been happily doing in Lincolnshire. The result was dismal. The upshot was that it was too hard for some of them, beneath the dignity of a couple of others whilst a couple couldn't even get there in time to start. One of the most telling was an English guy who took a job as a waiter at a restaurant and walked off the job during his first shift because the job was too difficult for him. I am sorry for people who are genuinely unable to work and think the state should never allow the level of poverty that used to be around years ago, but you, Tiger, make a very valid point when you highlight the limbless service personnel who just get on with it and make the best of what they have left. A lot more so-called disabled claimants (and you know who you are) should be told to get a job and stop leeching on the state by claiming a benefit that was never meant for them in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:36 am

Laughing Perhaps they should bring back the workhouse and debtors prisons,for these "lazy scrounging beggars" i feel a little "tar everyone on benefits with the same brush" seeping out here,but then perhaps i dont have what it takes to see what can be achieved with willpower and moral fibre,but who knows we may see tiger in her cossy in the women's 200 metre freestyle event at the 2010 Olympics. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:12 am

Steve, why do you seem to take some of the remarks in this thread to be an attack on all disabled claimants? If you care to read the postings again and a little more carefully than you seem to have done to now you will see that I, for one, am not suggesting that everybody who claims DLA is a workshy chancer who should be forced back to work or thrown into a workhouse. I would hardly make such a suggestion, considering I am one of the people who claim DLA both mobility and care portions. My comment was that I felt sorry for peope who are genuinely disabled and I would not wish to see us going back to the bad old days which about which this country should bow its head in shame. No I do not think people who are disabled should be thrown into workhouses, obviously. I personally know a few people who are claiming DLA and shouldn't be and I think people like that should be forced back onto the jobs market and that was the point I was making. One thing you should remember, Steve, is just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are really out to get you. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:27 am

And if you read my first comment you will see that I put that I have nothing against the genuine disabled. Just sitting here writing this I can think of five people that I know that claim DLA and either carry on a normal life or work on the side. Make that 6, just remember another one.
You certainly will not be seeing me in a cossy, swimming or not but then Im not claiming any benefits.
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:41 am

Very Happy I had a feeling that might liven things up Laughing hmm i wonder if paranoia is a disability? monkey i hope alan looks at the arthur lucan post theres things on there i want to know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:52 am

Do I get the impression that you were playing devil's advocate, Steve? You had me believing that you thought all changes to the benefits system were a personal attack on you. Strangely enough, Steve, in response to your query, Paranoia, being a recognised mental illness is a disability and a genuine paranoiac would certainly be considered for DLA payments, as are any genuinely mentally ill patients. I have been following the Arthur Lucan thread, Steve, as my mum knew him and his wife Kitty from them all being in the business, so if I can answer any questions, just ask, mate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:55 pm

A friend of mines son has Dispraxia among other things. She has been recieving DLA for him for years but as he is coming up to 18, this is going to stop and he will be put on JSA. He has a very low concentation level, he is extremely clumsy and has very low hand/ eye co ordination. No one is going to employ him.
This got me thinking...we had remploy for the disabled to earn some money while learning new skills but this was wound up a while ago. Wouldn`t it make more sense to restart schemes like this? Therefore people with an illness that means they can`t get mainstream employment could be employed to be productive in a safe environment with trained staff to teach and care for them.
Alot of people who are too ill to work have computer skills that could be put to good use, others could maybe do the work of call centres. Then there`s woodworking and joinery. Anything produced could be sold on. Surely this is better than just dishing out money left right and centre or reducing incomes to an unacceptable level. I`m sure the cheats would soon find employment then.
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:44 pm

Remploy was a good idea,but im not sure if some of the type of work they did involved the use of machinery,and many would be on medication that says not to operate machinery,it never ceases to amaze me how many car drivers take no notice of this warning on medication bottles and packets,and often wonder just how many accidents occur as a direct result of the medication your on?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 am

You are not wrong there, Steve. I don't know if most people are aware that driving after taking many prescribed drugs, even some simple pain relief, is a criminal offence and can lead to an automatic ban just the same as if it was an alcohol related offence. I think that if someone is taking a drug that could affect the way we drive, it should be mandatory for the GP to notify Swansea and the license should be suspended whilst the patient is on the medication. It is the norm for GPs to notify Swansea if someone is an epileptic so it is not as though patient's confidentiality is breached. Let's face it, it only takes one mistake because of medication and someone could end up dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:02 am

But not all disabled people are on medication and not all manufacturing involves machinery.
A lot of the trouble is that it`s psychological, if you`re really determined to work, you will do no matter what. I know of two men who both lost their arms. One was a friend of my dads and lost his arm just above the elbow during the war. He was a painter and decorator and a bloody good one at that. The other worked with my husband and he had lost his below the elbow. He was a cobbler for years then worked for the council. Both these men would sooner have died than not worked.
I worked with a woman who had mild cerebral palsey and what we now call learning difficulties. She worked on a line in a factory from age 15 til she was made redundant at 58. One of the big supermarkets in Hull employes a lad with cerabral palsey on the tills. He is a lovely lad, very pleasant and good mannered.
There are also thousands of other people with a lot less wrong with them that sit on their backsides all day getting more money than they would if they worked. You can always tell which ones they are.. they are the ones with suntans and houses full of mod cons and massive tellys.
Back to top Go down
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:12 am

Well said, Tigerlily. It is just what I was at odds to say earlier in this thread. I would not hesitate to boot such bloody spongers off benefits altogether and let them live on the proceeds of the sale of their big screen tellies, nice cars, posh homes, etc. that they have cheated the country for all these years. I can reember when there were no such things as tax credits and DLA and SDA and if you were a disabled person you did what you could to earn a crust or went without. Now, I am not suggesting we should go back to those days but I think things have gone too far the other way now and what we need is a median way so that nobody goes hungry but nobody lives high off the hog at the public expense either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:51 am

I too have no time for those who milk the benefit system,but isn't it typical of a new Goverment to target the poor,disabled and welfare state first before anyone else! Just in power,they have identified this area as top priority as a means of clawing back money into their coffers. To them,it doesn't matter that corrupt bankers,politicians and managers have brought this country to its knees.The Mp's expenses scandal was allowed to be swept under the carpet in the hope that it would be soon forgotten about.They have allowed the fuel companies to rip us off big style,with little concern for the OAP's who have to spend all day in the shopping centres and libraries to keep warm.

Yes,by all means get a grip of the scroungers,but don't forget the many Fat Cats who are syphoning off the public funds at the other end of the table! Posters have expressed their annoyance at those who are abusing the benefits system around about where they live,but don't forget those who are really responsible for the the drain on your income.They won't be happy until they have got the last penny in your pocket!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04 am

You`re spot on there Harry. Mind you they`d have a job getting anything off me, being the kept woman that I am. I`ve got nowt!
Back to top Go down
Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 pm

Tigerlilly-I wouldn't say you have got nowt!-Judging by your profile pic,you are in full bloom
Hope you're getting plenty of water in this weather. Seriously-i consider myself lucky, having a works pension and a state pension. Some of the OAP's around me have the basic pension and I just don't know how they manage.They go into town once a week,a slow donder round the Poundshop and then home again.What an existence!-poor diet,no visitors,just waiting to die! A near neighbour is the extreme opposite.He has never worked but can afford a luxury caravan at Berwick.Anyway he has been rumbled and is currently under investigation by the Benefits office Maybe I can buy his caravan on the cheap and treat the old-yuns to a weeks holiday on the Tweed.They should enjoy that because the PoundShop at Berwick is bigger!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:51 am

Very Happy Oh i do love a trip around the poundshops,and the shall i shant i,if its only a pound it has to be rubbish,then finaly deciding that if its no good ive only lost a quid,but a big pack of batteries with a name like "sony"has to be a bargain,dosent it ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN   

Back to top Go down

DO WE ALL REALY HAVE TO BE PUT THROUGH MEDICALS AGAIN
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
@Hull :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: