@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fozzeduk

PostSubject: IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION   Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:03 am

Have stories of the old "shared" telephone line,the rule was if you picked up the phone and heard a voice you replace it and wait, but this led to all sorts of problems, one being very careful what you said as you never knew who was listening,and some people made this into a hobby,also you could be waiting to make an important call and every time you tried there was a person gabbing away,which ive seen turn into open warfare,we also shared a line with some "pro" and if she was on the line with a client she could be very insultive to say the least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION   Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:25 am

Wow, Steve, that brought back forgotten memories. I well remember party lines and the trouble they could sometimes cause. One incident I remember was that the other party on our line was always leaving the phone of the hook and consequently we couldn't use the phone quite a lot. Hull Corporation Telephones were very cagy about letting subscribers know who was the other party on any particular line, because it was not always the next door neighbour. Anyway, after complaining to the KHCT phones people and still having the same problem my dad used a friendship with a phone company employee to find the address where the other party lived and paid him a visit one evening backed up by six burly rugger-playing mates and reminded him of his telephone contract. I think they also reminded him, in passing, how nice it was to be able to walk around unaided, but I cannot be certain as I wasn't there. The upshot was that we never had problems after that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
medsec

PostSubject: Re: IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION   Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:50 pm

The whole idea seems so archaic now. You can just imagine how successful it would be nowadays - not!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION   Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:15 pm

I remember our party line getting quite abusive with me because I was on the phone when she wanted to use it. Quite often she would pick up the phone and just start dialling. After months of this my dad realised that everytime she picked up her phone ours pinged and that if ours did then so did hers when we picked up. The old biddy had been listening in to our phone calls for ages. A quiet word from my dad soon sorted her out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cardsfromlynnesloft.blogspot.com/
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION   Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:36 am

My word these "listerners in" caused some trouble around the area,mainly through hearing half a sentence and then making the rest up, and then go sharing their news with all the other gossipmongers,you had to be very careful what you said on the phone back then. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AR-Tony

PostSubject: Re: IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION   Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:22 am

silent Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION   Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:44 am

I wonder if by AR-Tonys unusual silence, its a tell tale sign that his family could afford a private line! or did he live next to a phone box Laughing or could he beee! ""da da da daaa" Suspect "an ex party line listener inner" Shocked affraid no not AR-Tony.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
medsec

PostSubject: Re: IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION   Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:24 am

Now there's a thought! Laughing You've also reminded me of the joys - or not - of public telephone boxes. How many people have queued for absolutely ages to make a telephone call, whilst someone monopolises the phone to make a seemingly endless call. Queuing to make a phone call - bet the mobile phone generation would never believe it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION   Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:25 am

Yes! (oh ive got to be carefull now) but did you find that women were the biggest culprits Question and your stood in freezing snow,all you want is to ring a taxi,but the person seemed settled for the night,after bursts of laughter,five cigs,and fifteen minoutes of gabbing about nothing but blokes and a great night,you would hear the pips and pray they dont put another coin in,even as a youngster if i was in that box i would feel guilty if people were waiting. pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
medsec

PostSubject: Re: IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION   Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:40 pm

I can't recall who was worse for hogging the boxes but I sure remember hoping and praying they would run out of money! Sometimes people would tell you to go away as they had plenty of money and intended to talk for hours! Before my husband and I were married, I was still living in Thornton (Bradford) and my then fiance lived in Hull but worked in Lincoln. Our only contact during the week was that precious telephone call. Finding the box was in use and a queue waiting was awful. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION   

Back to top Go down

IM SURE SOME OF YOU "YOUNG" OLDER GENERATION
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1