@Hull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hull Cinama`s

Go down 
+7
fozzeduk
Kal-El
alanmackinnon
Trev
Barrow
Admin
Tigerlilly
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Harry from Hull

Harry from Hull

Hull Cinama`s - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hull Cinama`s   Hull Cinama`s - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 10:17 am

The Cecil used to do live Rock'n'Roll shows on stage as well in the late 50's early 60's.I went to a school directly at the back of the Cecil in Osborne Street (High School for Building) and we used to see the likes of Wee Willie Harris, Lord Rockingham's X1 and even Jerry Lee Lewis coming out of the rear stage door exit. WOW!-Great Balls of Fire baby! Hull Cinama`s - Page 2 Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
TPoskitt

TPoskitt

PostSubject: Re: Hull Cinama`s   Hull Cinama`s - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 12:49 pm

It just so happens that during the 50’s and 60’s I visited every cinema in Hull.
Starting very young with Saturday morning at the Mayfair, Beverley Road as my Grandmother worked there so it was free and I could go upstairs. (Dick Barton serials were great).
My Father was Manager of the Berkeley when it opened (Some Like it Hot) three days before ITV arrived in Hull. After that it was down hill all the way.
My Mother worked in the Criterion, a cinema that was so nice to go to.
Dorchester was also good. It had double seats in the back row!
All cinemas were visited with complimentary tickets via my Dad. So I did not miss much in those days.
You can find some interesting sites to find on the web about Hull pictures.
Back to top Go down
Snap

PostSubject: Re: Hull Cinama`s   Hull Cinama`s - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:21 am

I worked at the Cecil in the late 60s as a projectionist.Around once a week the owner Brindley Evans, I think it was would come and play the organ that used to rise from the orchestra pit.
Back to top Go down
Trev

Trev

PostSubject: Re: Hull Cinama`s   Hull Cinama`s - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 10:09 am

Snap wrote:
I worked at the Cecil in the late 60s as a projectionist..

You didn't know my uncle, John Wilkinson, by any chance? I think he worked at the Cecil around the same time.
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Hull Cinama`s   Hull Cinama`s - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 10:26 am

A chap near where I used to live also played the organ at the Cecil.Coverdale I think
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Hull Cinama`s   Hull Cinama`s - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:42 pm

so what was the largest cinema in Hull,and what was the smallest? And how many began with the letter R? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Snap

PostSubject: Re: Hull Cinama`s   Hull Cinama`s - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Trev wrote:
Snap wrote:
I worked at the Cecil in the late 60s as a projectionist..

You didn't know my uncle, John Wilkinson, by any chance? I think he worked at the Cecil around the same time.

Sorry the John who worked there when I was there was called Baxter,Frank Adamson was the Head Projectionist at that time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hull Cinama`s   Hull Cinama`s - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hull Cinama`s
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2