@Hull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

KIDS MOVING ON

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
alanmackinnon

alanmackinnon

KIDS MOVING ON Empty
PostSubject: KIDS MOVING ON   KIDS MOVING ON EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 2:45 am

I have just watched a very interesting piece on BBC breakfast about a school preparing 6th formers for leaving home; in other words giving them lifeskills in cooking, cleaning, washing etc. Well, that got me to wondering how many parents teach their youngsters how to cook, clean, wash and iron ready for when they fly the nest. I remember when my wife and I were together and we had 3 youngsters we had a system from a pretty early age (from about 7, I recall) of teaching them how to do the things they would one day need for independant living. After meals one would clear the table and make a cuppa, one would wash up and the other would dry and put away. My wife and I always welcomed them into the kitchen when we were cooking and they learned from about ten years old how to make a cup of tea unsupervised (and we never had any scalds, either). All 3 of those kids now have independant lives and know how to do all the things they need to run a home. The daughter has four children and teaches them, like her mum used to, and the boys are both competent around their own homes. The reason I raised this is that the survey on BBC indicated that parents don't teach their kids life skills at home, preferring to do it all for the sweet little darlings. Any views on this and how did some of our more mature members do it in their earlier days. Ooooh! I am politically correct this morning with my "more mature" members, aren't I?
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

KIDS MOVING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIDS MOVING ON   KIDS MOVING ON EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 4:41 am

I'm working very hard at being immature, personally speaking! lol!

We also taught our three how to fend for themselves. I don't think any of them every scalded or burned themselves in the kitchen either - it's me that does that!
Back to top Go down
Tigerlilly

Tigerlilly

KIDS MOVING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIDS MOVING ON   KIDS MOVING ON EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 4:46 am

You are being very polite this morning Alan. I taught my first 2 kids ( girls) how to run a home from quite early on. When they were still toddlers they helped with the dusting. I am guilty though of not teaching my son much I have to admit. Not that it was a gender thing just that his middle name was `in a minute` and it was easier to do it myself. Since he`s been living with his future in laws though he has changed his tune and is quite domesticated.
Back to top Go down
http://cardsfromlynnesloft.blogspot.com/
alanmackinnon

alanmackinnon

KIDS MOVING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIDS MOVING ON   KIDS MOVING ON EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 5:09 am

I am always polite, dear Tigerlily, except to fools but we appear to have left them behind battling against each other on a non-existent forum site. Laughing I think most of our male children have the just-a-minute gene which they have usually inherited from poppa because that is usually the response when asked to do something around the house by the better(?) half. It is rather funny you should mention the in-law thing, too. My eldest lad from a previous marriage was an absolute nightmare when asked by his mum or me to do anything around the house. Even making a cuppa was a big moan, moan, moan production. He did as he was told eventually. But one day my wife was chatting to a few of the neighbourhood women and it turned out that our eldest was the most popular boy in the area, because he was always doing little jobs for the mothers of his mates without being asked. I have never fully understood why he would go to the moon for the neighbours but the bottom of the street was a pain if it was for his kin. Will we ever understand kids, I wonder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

KIDS MOVING ON Empty
PostSubject: Re: KIDS MOVING ON   KIDS MOVING ON Empty

Back to top Go down

KIDS MOVING ON
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
@Hull :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: