@Hull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OPPINIONS PLEASE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

OPPINIONS PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: OPPINIONS PLEASE   OPPINIONS PLEASE EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 4:01 am

As most of you are aware im going through a housing problem,which is being dealt with by community legal services in hull city centre,we recieved a letter yesterday from a firm of solicitors in sheffield who hold the contract to this service,and they regret to inform us that some of my wifes personal data which was kept on a computer has been stolen,which in fact was a laptop stolen in a burglary at one of their employees homes,i wonder what our personal details are doing in someones home ?
Back to top Go down
Tigerlilly

Tigerlilly

OPPINIONS PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OPPINIONS PLEASE   OPPINIONS PLEASE EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 4:46 am

This sounds to me as if it`s the case that was reported last week on Look North and the HDM. From what I can gather name, address and DOB were listed. Depending on who has stolen the laptop there are varying degrees of concern. To be honest I would imagine that it is some low life opportunist thief who wouldn`t have the first idea what to do with this information.
I can even understand why the laptop was in someones home if they were going to do some work on it, what I can`t understand is why all this information is not password protected.

Back to top Go down
http://cardsfromlynnesloft.blogspot.com/
medsec

medsec

OPPINIONS PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OPPINIONS PLEASE   OPPINIONS PLEASE EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 12:34 pm

For a start I would guess that the details should not have been on the laptop, the laptop should not have been taken home and as Tiger says, the whole shebang should have been encrypted. Working in the NHS I can assure you that all our stuff is password protected and encrypted, to the point of utter annoyance. If you don't move the mouse for 10 minutes you are logged off and have to re-enter your password. As you might imagine, much of the day is spent re-entering your password. Irritating but necessary.
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

OPPINIONS PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OPPINIONS PLEASE   OPPINIONS PLEASE EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 2:25 am

Strange thing is in the letters first few sentences we are told,to be assured no banking or credit info was contained,but at the end of the letter,they advise me to inform the bank of this incident,also to be vigilant for irregular activity,specifically around benefits,loans,credit cards,unsolicited purchases or communications.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

OPPINIONS PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OPPINIONS PLEASE   OPPINIONS PLEASE EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 6:23 am

My mum got the same letter Steve. I asked: Why are your personal details being taken home to someone's house?
Back to top Go down
https://hull.aforumfree.com
Sponsored content

OPPINIONS PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OPPINIONS PLEASE   OPPINIONS PLEASE Empty

Back to top Go down

OPPINIONS PLEASE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
@Hull :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: