@Hull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A modern parable for Bonfire Night

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AR-Tony

AR-Tony

A modern parable for Bonfire Night Empty
PostSubject: A modern parable for Bonfire Night   A modern parable for Bonfire Night EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Seven year old AR-T stands at the crease, bat in hand. Wardy bowls...Full Toss! Two runs... two... four... five. AR-T stands now at the Pavilion end. Very Happy 'Hey Wardy!' 'WHAT?' Mad 'Do you know what you're doing wrong?' Embarassed 'No!' Laughing 'What you should do is delay your release of the ball by a count of one!' Cool 'Ta!' One run and your local hero returns to face a wiser Wardy and 'OUT!' Rolling Eyes

The morel? Send your answers to AR-T on a Five pound note... affraid And while you're at it, answer this. Why has the Morning Mail announced to all the world and Bomb maker Ali-what's-his-face that he was 17 Minutes out in the calibrating of his air-freight bomb? farao cheers
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: A modern parable for Bonfire Night   A modern parable for Bonfire Night EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 12:32 pm

Hmmm. I have no idea. Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
AR-Tony

AR-Tony

PostSubject: Re: A modern parable for Bonfire Night   A modern parable for Bonfire Night EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 8:42 am

Well, put it in a historical perspective.
During WWII there were posters everywhere...
'Walls have ears'

'Careless talk costs lives'

'Careless talk sinks ships.'

What would have happened to certain newspaper publishers, some already on the radar as very suspect persons of dubious national loyalties and intent, if they had published in any paper, say,
'HEH HITLER! YOUR V1 or V2's ARE HITTING EMPTY FIELDS, BECAUSE YOUR CALIBRATIONS ARE OUT BY SEVENTEEN MINUTES...'
Our Winston would have shot them himself and made them pay for the bullets. Is this nation totally bereft of all common sense?
The link if you like...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326552/Yemen-ink-bomb-defused-17-minutes-spare-Device-ready-explode.html#

...You may laugh or you might just cry,,,
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: A modern parable for Bonfire Night   A modern parable for Bonfire Night EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 10:14 am

According to that story the timing wasn't out, it was an unscheduled refuelling stop that enabled the device to be discovered. I see your point but I don't think it's a valid comparison. Had the stop not been made then the bomb would have gone off on schedule. Makes your blood run cold.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A modern parable for Bonfire Night   A modern parable for Bonfire Night EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 1:50 am

It makes me cringe when I read on the news about the latest military hardware we have and all the specs are on full view. How can we win a war when the enemy has the intelligence that we have?
Back to top Go down
https://hull.aforumfree.com
AR-Tony

AR-Tony

PostSubject: Re: A modern parable for Bonfire Night   A modern parable for Bonfire Night EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 11:41 am

What is the phrase? ... Knowledge is power? A legal phrase refers to 'Giving comfort to the enemy.'

I had a long and totally fruitless argument with a senior Royal Navy officer at the MOD.

I asked...

'Why do you, not only allow, but encourage all elements in the media to publish the names and personal details of servicemen and women in Theatre?'

'What fanciful gain to HMG could be weighed against the likely consequences of such blatant declarations?'

E.g. 'Corporal Bloggs, Son of Mr Bloggs Senior, Husband of Mrs Bloggs, Father to children Bloggs Junior and Minor, who attend the local Bloggthorpe School...' So it goes on and on... '

My point to him was completely lost.

He said, 'Such details attract new recruits and encourage good public support and empathy!'

I tried my damnedest to persuade him of the obvious and likely hurt to any captured serviceman or woman when they give 'Name rank and number'
And hear,

'Ah yes Mr Bloggs... very interesting! Now we would like to have chapter and verse re your Troop numbers... deployment... planned future action?'
'Name rank and...'
'Ah yes, of course, however we have your wife and children, back in UK! Ah! You do not believe me? Well we have your Father, Mother and your old pal spot the dog!
Now, Deployment?'

Any captured, isolated, service personnel would sit there in total dark, bagged, tagged and terrified. That MOD Officer told me I had too much imagination. I told him he was bereft of any.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A modern parable for Bonfire Night   A modern parable for Bonfire Night EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Years ago my father worked at military installations as an industrial cleaner, he worked in the Gibralter Rock, and on several sensative UK Nuclear subs. He had to sign the official secrets act, wouldn't speak of his work, and we are still none the wiser to what he actually did for the MOD.
Back to top Go down
https://hull.aforumfree.com
AR-Tony

AR-Tony

PostSubject: Re: A modern parable for Bonfire Night   A modern parable for Bonfire Night EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Mike, it could never be any other way. Be proud! Always be proud. They were a fine generation. They set the bar so very high, but God! How they spoilt us, eh?
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: A modern parable for Bonfire Night   A modern parable for Bonfire Night EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 12:25 pm

I certainly agree with you about publishing all the details of someone's family and loved ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A modern parable for Bonfire Night   A modern parable for Bonfire Night Empty

Back to top Go down

A modern parable for Bonfire Night
Page 1 of 1