@Hull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle

Go down 
+6
alanmackinnon
Snap
medsec
TPoskitt
Tigerlilly
Barrow
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Barrow

Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle Empty
PostSubject: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 11:39 am

I wrote a letter to the Mail a few weeks ago informing people that unless a buyer was found,it would be scapped.It is a dock in Grimsby and was up for sale for £20,000Since my letter,there have been many more,and I have had many phone calls fro people that would like it bringing back to Hull.
It has now been sold to a Grimsby person,but the local council want a £60,000 bond in case it anything goes wrong and that council will have to scrap it if left on their hands.That person may have to spend more money to build a dock around it,but may not have the money to do that.The boat is stuck in the mud in that dock.So what next?There may be a person from Hull that is very interested in bringing it back to Hull,and willing to buy and restore the boat to working order
I can say more at present,but will keep you all informed. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tigerlilly

Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 11:43 am

If I win tonight lotto jackpot, I might put in an offer.
Back to top Go down
http://cardsfromlynnesloft.blogspot.com/
TPoskitt

TPoskitt

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 1:03 pm

The PS Tattershall Castle is on the Thames, the PS Wingfield Castle is in Hartlepool where it was built.
How come the PS Lincoln Castle is rotting away in Goole?
I thought it was moored near the Humber Bridge, one of them was when I was last there.
Should be brought back to reside in Hull even in a special berth, it has so much Hull History about it.
It is worth so much more than scrap value.
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 1:49 pm

It's many years since the Lincoln Castle was moored at Hessle. We went there a few times when our kids were little. It was very popular and always busy. I always thought it a shame it left there. Francis Daly - creator of The Waterfront - wanted to buy it and put it in Princes Dock but could not get the council at the time to give permission. How shortsighted was that? Sad
Back to top Go down
Snap

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:00 am

Looking on Google earth it looks as if the Lincoln Castle is land locked in the dock where she,s laying.It looks like she could get out but if you measure the dock exit against the ferry the gap is not wide enough.So I think Grimsby is where she will stay.Hope im wrong.
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:32 pm

To get the boat into that dock,the paddle wheels and part of the top deck were removed,then put back.
To get it out again,the same must happen.The big problem now is that some of the beams have gone and need replacing.It has sunk into the mud.You can not a dreger into the dock because of that low bridge and a suction pump is needed.The other problem is that there is no road access to get to it,making the repairs a problem to get it floating again.One potential buyer from Hull is aware of all these problems and is looking at solutions,but is determined to bring it back to Hull.He is looking at putting it back in steam which is a costly task,but hopes some grants may be available.There may be a meeting in Hull shortly to discuss bringing it back,but the issue remains about if the new owner in Grimsby has the funds to repair it where it stands.He has about two weeks to come up with the funds which may be about £300,000 If not,the chap from Hull may make an offer to buy it and if funding can be found,repair it and bring it back to Hull Laughing
I will keep you all posted
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 10:17 am

Any body read the Mail today about saving this boat.A meeting will be held shortly if you are interested
Back to top Go down
alanmackinnon

alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 11:35 am

Yes, barrow, I read the report in today's mail. It is a wonderful idea to have it back up and running across the Humber again but in these austere days when jobs are going and cuts are being made everywhere, who is going to stump up a minimum of one point three million pounds? It is a hell of a lot of money and I don't think it is a possibility. Let us hope I am wrong.
Back to top Go down
Gud4u

Gud4u

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 9:16 am

Looks like the action taken by the "new" preservation society may be having some effect according to Stephen Sharpe on the Levy show today. For new members, contact 100 Barrow Lane, Hessle, for membership forms.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 2:24 am

I am so pleased that action is being taken to prevent it's loss. What a sad day that would be. Lets keep on and try and work towards a positive solution for the steamer.
Back to top Go down
https://hull.aforumfree.com
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 10:30 am

Quick update.Had a meeting with some members of Hull City Council who are supportive in saving the Lincoln Castle with a view to bringing back to Hull.Sadly the demolition folks are still on board and we are trying to raise funding to stop it.There is now an appeal on an international paddle steamer website for help.
Everybody says they want it saving,but funding is important.We will be handing out forms at the Round the World race in Hull on saturday and sunday,and any help will be welcomed.It may yet be saved.
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 11:27 am

I do hope so. It would be a real asset to this city.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 8:09 am

Nice to see that there were quite a few people handing out flyers to save the Lincoln Castle around the Marina today.
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 9:33 am

Yes there were,and I was one of them.Got a lot of interest from many who used the boat and have happy memories of it.Everyone wants to save it and many made small donations.Others have said they will join our society.BUT,time is running out and the scrap man is talking about bringing the cutters in soon.We have got some funding and the scrap man says that if we meet his offer,we can have it.We are about £10,000 short.If only we had a little more time,and if only one Hull firm or business could give up that cash now.Great publicity for them,and maybe the boat back in Hull in about 2 to 3 years after repairs..We only formed five weeks ago and although the owner knew we were interested and could raise the cash if given time,he called the scrap men in straight away!
So much interest is there.Sadly,the money is not.
Back to top Go down
Tigerlilly

Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 11:36 am

Get onto Peter Levy and the Look North team pronto. You never know who might be watching.
Back to top Go down
http://cardsfromlynnesloft.blogspot.com/
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 9:53 am

Been on both Tiger.Everbody wants to save it except the owner who has paid for it to be dismantled.All we can do is try to raise the cash,but time is running out.We had hoped after the publicity that someone or some firm would have helped.Sadly that is not the case.
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 2:47 am

Its a pity that "fred dibnahs"no longer alive he was a great steam enthusiast and would have been horrified at the very thought of breaking up this steamer and im sure he would have done everything in his power to save it,and knew just the right people who would put their hands in their pockets without question.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 2:46 am

Have the Lincoln Castle Preservation Society thought about approaching television producers etc. There are numerous projects on tv showing vehicles being renovated. Perhaps approaching a tv station, production company etc might help get the wheels rolling.
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 3:27 am

Sorry to go off the subject for a sec,but did you recieve the message i sent you about my grandaughters photo?

SAVE OUR FERRY! DONT LET IT END ITS DAYS IN A SCRAP YARD! ILL BET THERE ARE STEAM ENTHUSIASTS
FROM ALL OVER WHO WOULD RESTORE HER TO HER FORMER GLORY AND NOT TAKE A PENNY.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 5:00 am

Sent you a reply Fozz.
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:31 am

Does anybody know if there is any progress with this?
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 1:03 pm

The situation is that we are still trying to raise the money the scrap person wants.We have tried to get new members on board,been on TV and local radio,put out help e,mails to many related groups,had meetings with Hull City Council and others,tried the National Railway Museum as it was a British Rail ferry and are still trying .Tomorrow we have a meeting with a person that may donate a lot of cash.t is not letters saying that it must be saved,but hard cash very quickly.Both the chairman and me as vice chairman have spent a lot of our own money in leaflets,phone calls and trips to the boat.So far it is a thousand between us.We both have given a lot of time and effort to try and save it and much good will is there.We have raised a lot of cash so far and may be nearly there.But the scrap man is still scraping the inside of the boat and many items are now on sale on various web sites.If we fail,then we have tried.We still have hope
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 2:24 pm

Quick update. Good news first.The Lincoln Castle may be saved.Bad news is that the person trying to buy it wants to sail it in the Med for charters and not on the River Humber.Such a pity that a Hull man or firm did not show any interest to help us with funding to keep it in Hull.We are still trying to raise funding to do that and have not given up hope.
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 10:35 am

Update.Went to the boat today.The owner still refuses to sell it.The scrap man wants £65,000 and the boat is ours.Insides riped out but hull and engines still intacked.It can be saved,but unless someone or some firm helps with that cash now,it will be lost.Yorkshire TV down today and interviewed.Shown on wednesday.Feel sad that a new £7 million footbridge is being built in Hull,but no cash from council to add this ti Hulls maritime heritage.What a sad loss to Hull
Vice Chairman.Lincoln Castle Preservation Society
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 11:33 am

Such a shame. You would think there would be someone who has both the vision and the cash to see what an asset this could be to this city. silent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle   Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle Empty

Back to top Go down

Paddle Steamer Lincoln Castle
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next