@Hull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What’s unique about Hull?

Go down 
+3
Harry from Hull
Admin
Kal-El
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kal-El

Kal-El

What’s unique about Hull? Empty
PostSubject: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 5:40 am

I'll start... White phone boxes.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 8:42 am

The Deep, the World's only Submarnarinum thing. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hull.aforumfree.com
Harry from Hull

Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:26 am

Kal- You can blame my father for the White Phone Boxes. He erected over 360 of them in the Hull and East Riding area during his lifetime.He made this model (shown in Pic) in the Hull Telephones Joiners shop in Wincolmlee which is now demolished and replaced by a car park at the back of Hull College of Tech.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:32 am

I love little stories like that. Thanks Harry.

How about Patties!!!
Back to top Go down
Kal-El

Kal-El

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 5:12 pm

Thats a very nice model Harry. It's a bit of a shame that phone boxes are becoming a piece of the past.

Perhaps I should say iconic not unique. I’ll try the tilde barrier. Keep um coming.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Humber Bridge.
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 12:20 pm

Tenfoots Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 2:01 am

I wanted to say patties,boo hoo,so i will say "earl de grey" which i believe was known worldwide,and brought fond and awful memories to many many people. Laughing
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 2:10 am

Any idea why white harry,im just thinking that when asked their favourate colour not many people would pick white,so did it come to a vote for eg,white,blue,or green as the one in the indoor market place is ? scratch
Back to top Go down
Harry from Hull

Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:02 am

I can't answer that Foz-my father passed away in 2007. He used to order the telephone boxes from Carron Foundry (where they were made) in Falkirk,some 3 miles away from where I live now. His squad used to assemble them at Wincolmlee and a team of painters also based there did the finishing.They were then sited and erected all over Hull & District. I think the colour white was used to identify them as Hull Telephones property when maintenance was carried out on them and differentuate them from other boxes (painted red) outside of their remit in the East Riding area. Like my father,I also worked in the telecom biz working for Standard Telephones & Cables Ltd contracted in Telephone House in Carr Lane. Starting there in 1963 I installed switchgear and cables and in other telephone exchanges in Kirkella,Cotty,Bilton and Beverley. On completion I was transferred to Alloa in Scotland and have been here ever since.
Back to top Go down
Kal-El

Kal-El

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 9:14 am

wiki "Kingston upon Hull was the only area of the UK not under the Post Office monopoly, with telephones being under the control of the Corporation of Hull (city council). In Hull and the surrounding area this meant that the telephone boxes were painted cream and had the crown omitted. The Hull telephone system was subsequently privatised and is now operated by Kingston Communications. Kingston Communications (KC) have removed many of the famous cream K6 boxes circa 2007. An outraged public complained that they were losing part of their heritage, thanks due to media involvement. KC have retained approx 125 K6's that remain in use today. KC used the media frenzy to its advantage and allocated limited numbers (approx. 1000) to be sold to the general public, and many were sold off before they had even been removed from service"
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 2:41 am

Am i right in thinking some people bought them for garden ornaments,or am i thinking of the red boxes? scratch
Back to top Go down
Kal-El

Kal-El

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 8:31 am

"KC used the media frenzy to its advantage and allocated limited numbers (approx. 1000) to be sold to the general public, and many were sold off before they had even been removed from service"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:40 am

I took my son for a walk to Hedon-road Cemetery yesterday and we passed a white phone box Newbridge-road at the bottom of Sherburn-street.
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:07 pm

Now there's something I'd never come across before I came to live in Hull. Something the Hull Mail used to do and I haven't seen for a while - spelling street names the way you do Mike e.g. Newbridge-road instead of Newbridge Road. Not something I've seen anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 12:29 am

Theres also hull fair,owbridges lung tonic,the orderly boys of hull,amy johnson,there is tons of uniquenes past and present about hull,and for those that dont like or think much to hull we also have the M62 motorway. lol!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 1:17 am

I spend hours every day trawling through Victorian Press reports, both locally, nationally and even internationally, you tend to pick up a few habits. tongue

Here is one for you,

Severn-street, my stomping ground, used to have a war memorial at the top of the street on what is now Lucky Star Takeaway. The memorial was for the residents who died during WWII. Although the memorial has since vanished, I uncovered a photo of it at Hull History Centre the other day.

I would say that's quite unique.

Back to top Go down
alanmackinnon

alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 11:37 am

Funny enough, I was about to mention the unique way the HDM have had for years with street names. I have read newspapers all over the world and never ever came across that sort of form anywhere other than Hull. Anyone any idea where the style came from?
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 11:39 am

That's something I'd like to know too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 6:32 am

There are millions of articles on British Libraries 19th Century Newspapers Online website.
Back to top Go down
chiefdragon

chiefdragon

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 1:22 pm

The war memorial for the residents of Sharp St, Newland Ave still has pride of place at the top of the street Mike.

A recent uniqueness must be the 'Larkin toads'......can anyone enlighten as to why the St.Stephens toad is taped off when all the others can be caressed and sat on, stood by (for photo's) and generally hugged by the younger kids? bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What’s unique about Hull?   What’s unique about Hull? Empty

Back to top Go down

What’s unique about Hull?
Page 1 of 1