@Hull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Forum Rules

Go down 
+8
medsec
Tigerlilly
Barrow
Trev
alanmackinnon
fozzeduk
Kal-El
Admin
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
alanmackinnon

alanmackinnon

Forum Rules - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 3:51 am

FOZZ wrote:
Embarassed I know i just wanted to know if alan knew lol

I think you are a little liar, Steve Smile Your embarrassed smiley at the start of your comment says it all.
But now, thanks to Tigerlily we both know now. She is such a clever little blogger Laughing
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 8:52 am

And moving on rather quickly,anyone know how i change my picture ? tiger? alan? anybody?
Back to top Go down
Gud4u

Gud4u

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 9:02 am

Kal-El advised me to click on the Profile link at the top of the page Fozz but I must be missing something. I am sure all will be revealed in the fullness of time HaHa.
Back to top Go down
Tigerlilly

Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 9:04 am

Go to profile at top of page. Once in there click on Avatar. You can choose one from the gallery or if you have a piccy on your computer you can use that.
Back to top Go down
http://cardsfromlynnesloft.blogspot.com/
Gud4u

Gud4u

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 9:13 am

Thankyou Kal and Tigerlily, I got there eventually Shocked
Back to top Go down
Harry from Hull

Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Slight change of user-name   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Just joined the group tonight-better known on Yourmail as just plain 'HarryDownes'. Lived in Falkirk Scotland since 1964. Born & bred in Hull and proud of it!
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Welcome to the forum Harry! The more the merrier. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Trev

Trev

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 5:33 pm

Welcome Harry! Nice to have you on board. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AR-Tony

AR-Tony

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 12:40 am

Great to have you here Harry.
Back to top Go down
rayduff

PostSubject: Congratulations!   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 3:16 am

Hi Mike

Just to say "Well Done" for getting this Forum up-and-running! The 'self-help' DIY approach could be far more powerful than that which is 'provided for us from on high'.

Regards

Ray
Back to top Go down
http://hedonblog.wordpress.com/
Harry from Hull

Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 5:01 am

To Medsec. AR-Tony & Trev

Thanks for the welcome guys-One question I would like to ask-Where is exactly the 'Avenues'?
Back to top Go down
alanmackinnon

alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:08 am

Hiya and welcome, Harry. Nice to see you are on board. I remember some of your Yourmail posts. The Avenues are a series of long and once very prosperous streets which run from Princes Avenue (at the back of Pearson Park) to Chanterlands Avenue. They include streets like Park Avenue, Westbourne Avenue and Marlborough Avenue. If you type one of those streets into Google Earth you will soon see where they are. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Harry from Hull

Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 am

Thanks for that Alan-I know the area well,but have never heard it referred to as the 'Avenues' before.I have read posters mentioning the 'Avenues' in their threads but I related it to the avenues on North Hull Estate. I lived on 6th Avenue NHE until the age of eleven

Cheers-Harry
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 9:46 am

Och aye harry,the avenues are in the chants av area,i dont get up that way very often except for funerals,as thats were northen cemetry is,i myself have a wee bit of the old scottish blood as i have a lot of family in refrewshire,(port glasgow) so "Lang May Yer Lum Reek Harry" cheers
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 11:44 am

Harry, interesting to hear you say you hadn't heard of 'the Avenues'. I moved here in 1975 when I married a local lad and it was, to my recollection, referred to by that name then. We moved here in 1988 from 'the Dukeries' - which is a relatively recent name given to the neighbouring streets named after stately homes in the Dukeries e.g. Belvoir Street, Chatsworth Street, Clumber Street, Thoresby Street - you get the idea. The residents' association was on the go then and is named The Avenues and Pearson Park Association (APPRA for short). So now I wonder when the nickname came into being. The electoral ward is named 'Avenue' - note the singular, which I find odd.

Sorry for the lecture!
Back to top Go down
AR-Tony

AR-Tony

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 4:08 pm

On Hessle Road, beyond the fly-over on the left as you head for Hessle, there are a series of streets named after various Shires, circa 1900, but, as a group, they were named the Gipsyville Estate, by the private builder, who was a factory owner in the area making Gipsy Black for the leading of fire places. The new, council built, circa 1938 Askew Avenue and all the Groves off and should have named it something like The Groves, but then never named it at all. The latest new private builds on the estate were going to be called West-Point, but they also got lumbered, as did the rest of the estate, with the Gipsyville tag, by default as it were. Many folk in the area think the Gipsy Black association to be really dreadful and loathe the name, so now the folk who live in the actual Gipsyville Streets have taken to referring to themselves as The Shires. So the nonsense goes on. Do you not think the name Gipsyville, with this blacking association, to be very racist? Have you ever heard of any other such abuse cheerfully given in name to a community? Shocked
Back to top Go down
medsec

medsec

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 1:35 pm

I can't agree that the name 'Gipsy Black Lead' is racist. I would guess it's merely a reference to the fact that most of the so-called 'gypsies' of the time were very dark-skinned, being weatherbeaten from their outdoor lifestyle. I think in that respect it was a more innocent time and whilst some may perceive such things to be racist now, they were never intended to be so. I'm not a native of Hull so I always found the name of Gipsyville to be quite charming.
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:06 pm

Many of these post are interesting,but many may not read them under the rules thread.Why not start a new thread about street names in Hull where others may see them
Back to top Go down
Harry from Hull

Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:34 pm

FOZZ- Och aye-Lang may yer lum reek!

Funny you you say that Fozz. When I first went up to Scotland,they had no trouble understanding me,even although I dropped my 'H's and abbreviated words like 'Brid' or 'Cotty'. However, I had all sorts of bother understanding them. It took me a couple of years to get familiar with the differences in their dialect between say Glaswegian and Aberdonian.

Words like- "Tarry breeks" - nickname for a sailor. "Tarry fingered" on the other hand is someone who has a tendency to steal things.

Or descriptive adjectives such as:-

'blethering skite' is someone who talks a load of nonsense.
'Peely wally' meaning Pale, sick and unhealthy such as "He's lookin awfy peely wally. He needs a good holiday".
"Wabbit" - exhausted and feeble, often used to describe someone who is suffering from a head cold or the flu.
"Wi your head under your oxter" - literally "with your head under your armpit or yer erse" applied to someone who is down in the dumps.
One of my favourites:-
"A Stoater" - Really exceptional, often used by boys to describe a nice looking girl regarded as a "wee smasher". The same word can be used as a verb meaning to stagger drunkenly as in "He stoatered up the road from the pub."

There are hundreds of these funny expressions that I was thinking of starting a thread
-but " I winnae bore the breeks aff yer" ( I won't bore the pants off you!) Forum Rules - Page 2 Lol
Back to top Go down
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:31 pm

I remember staying with my grandmother in port glasgow,she crooked a finger at me and half smiled and said (hope i remember this correct,and spell it right) "yer want some piece" i just looked at her dumb,she asked me again, same dumb expession on my face,she then gave out a great sigh and said as near as i remember,"ye want some piece "n" jam"there was i stood without a clue and blank expression on my face,if you can imagine a little boy who lives in hull,looking into the face of this very old lady all dressed in black with white hair millions of wrinkles,and a look in her eye that said her walking stick was often used to clout someone,suffice to say her patience ran out and she went into a flurry of language of her own,which i now believe meant i was simple,lucky for me my aunt came in and explained that she was asking if i wanted a slice of "bread and jam" but the flurry of language she was shouting now nobody understood as granny was from ireland but had lived in scotland for years,and when she got annoyed she would go into this flurry of some sort of mixed scots irish gaelic.
Back to top Go down
AR-Tony

AR-Tony

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 2:21 pm

I suppose we must try to exchange in standard English (I quite miss Agi's rants about spelling), but I do like dialect in the written form. My Mother's folk are Lincolnshire people. Though very well educated they will still right a letter in broad Lincolnshire dialect. The forums on the Scots newspapers are full of dialectic witticisms and I enjoy their wicked humour. A great much of our English spelling forms seem to me to be a total nonsense, made up by Oxbridge toffs for their own perverse pleasure and mischief. But needs must, so we conform! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tigerlilly

Tigerlilly

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 5:20 am

We seem to have lost our dialect in Hull. My grandparents and my father in law had some strange sayings and words but we don`t use them anymore. I used to work in Market Weighton and considering it`s only a few miles away, sometimes it was like living in a different country.
Back to top Go down
http://cardsfromlynnesloft.blogspot.com/
fozzeduk

fozzeduk

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 8:10 am

One of the local van drivers based in filey, for a firm i worked for,well he lived in hunnmamby, he was always using the yorkshire phrases like "ahm alreet" "ows thyself" and in bradford remember the funnyman charlie williams he called it "brratfod" and down that way even men call each other luv and me ole cocka,and thees and thys, but even the people who live and were born in withernsea have a maybe not so strong but an accent that is definatly not heard in hull,i think you have to hear yourself on a realy good recording system,like a bbc interview,then when you hear it you just go,AAAAArghhhhh!!! thats not me,i dont sound like that twit, Embarassed
Back to top Go down
alanmackinnon

alanmackinnon

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 10:18 am

You know, the folk from Hull may not use the words and phrases that they used when I was a youngster but I can still spot a Hull accent a mile off. I don't know what it is, whether it is the vowel sounds or a particular cadence in the voice but I find it very easy to spot a Hull person and I have been all over the world and heard lots of dialects and languages. Anybody got any idea why this should be?
Back to top Go down
AR-Tony

AR-Tony

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Kingston Upon Hull has folk from all over this island of ours. In various times throughout her history she has been populated by those who followed the fish from places like Cornwall n Devon, Holland n Denmark, while Newcastle n Sunderland supplied her with engineers, fitters and other skilled trades. There have been many close associations throughout with the folk of East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. So the Ull accent is a rare mix, but the Angles of Lincolnshire and their close cousins the Danes of East Yorkshire brought many words and inflections of English words to our city and port. If you wonder at the long flattened vowels in words like Phone... fhooohrn and boat booohrt, what seems to have happened is the word sounds of Lincolnshire, lengthened by the divided vowels in a soft gentle burr, giving Pho-an and Bo-at have further softened, but kept the extra length of the once separate vowels. Thus flattened, but not fully melded, you can here these overly long words droning on all the time in the City, but very rarely beyond the natural City boundary. Yet we will add extra vowels to Withernsea and Thorngumbald. Ha! Aren't we cute?

Last edited by AR-Tony on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Forum Rules
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next