@Hull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@Hull

A forums about Hull, by people from Hull.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Forum Rules

Go down 
+8
medsec
Tigerlilly
Barrow
Trev
alanmackinnon
fozzeduk
Kal-El
Admin
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
alanmackinnon

alanmackinnon

Forum Rules - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 7:53 pm

You are right Tony. It has a lot to do with those strange vowel sounds plus an almost bastardised version of Geordie cum Scottish. And it always irritates me when people locally say Witherensea instead of Withernsea and, even more aggravating, Thorningumbald instead of Thorngumbald. However, we mustn't let these differences aggravate us since it is all part of the very rich fabric of our area's wonderful diversity.
Back to top Go down
Harry from Hull

Harry from Hull

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 3:49 am

Forum Rules - Page 3 Icon_eek There are a lot of interesting sayings in the Scottish language for example:-

"Get it over the fingers" - a reprimand, no doubt derived from the days when pupilswere rapped over the knuckles by the teacher.

"Get your heid in your hands" - receive a severe scolding. In Glasgow the severity is added to by "Ye'll get yer heid on yer hauns - an' yer teeth tae play wi'".)-a kinda threat to knock your teeth out.

"Go your dinger" - lose your temper.

"Pit the hems on" - keep in order, as in "Jeannie pit the hems on her husband so he couldnae get to the pub."

"Shoogle" - to shake or rock from side to side "Don't shoogle the ladder." A shoogle is a shake or nudge such as "Give me a shoogle if I fall asleep." The old tram cars were known as "shooglies." And if someone's "jacket is on a shoogly peg" he is in danger of getting the sack!

"Sherrack" - a public dressing down, as in "She gave Jimmy a right sherrackin' in the street for coming home drunk."

"Skelp" - to smack or slap. "You'll get a skelpit leatherin when I get you home"

"Fish Supper" - fish & chips

"Drookit*- Totally soaked, usually from being out in the rain. On the other hand, droothy describes a thirsty person who needs a drink - especially an alcoholic one!

Get tae France- a polite Scottish way of telling you to " Get to F***!!

These are a few of the sayings North of the border,but sound funny in a Scottish accent. Ther eyebrows raise a liitle when I come away with the Hull expression- "I cun't tell yer"! Forum Rules - Page 3 Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
Barrow

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:27 am

the dialect in East Yorkshire is also different in many areas.
Names are pronounced diferently as well.We say Leaven instead of Leven.Catwick is Catick.Atwick is atic/We also shorten words like With and Brid,bot never Scar!
A lady I used to work with did not understand why we say Prinni Av ,Cot road and Chants Av.So why not Hold road.Hessle Road is ezzel road.
And bus is buss.
Maby a new thread is needed on local words and accents Mike as many may miss it on this post
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rules   Forum Rules - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Forum Rules
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3